Selection of frames
Homepage » Glossary



Profession linked to Art and Crafts.

Arts and Crafts professions

Professions that regroup the creation, production, transformation and restoration of art work requiring an expertise in traditional or innovative techniques.

Back Frame (Châssis de renfort)

This wooden structure installed at the back of the finished frame is used to strengthen the work especially when it is rather large.


A traditional framing technique that provides great depth to the displayed art. It is cut in a thick mount-board, it is also called a 45° bevel, it is suitable for all types of images.

Double frame

A montage of 2 frames together.


A thin under-mount board, placed below the passe-partout, or between the passe-partout and the bevel. It brings a discreet touch of colour.

Float mount

The depth of the frame allows for a box-like presentation for objects, but also drawing, etchings.


Applying a paper over a mount, a bevel, or a filet.


These are decorative patterns made on the passe partout & they surround the framed work. These often geometric patterns, whose curved or broken lines intersect, symmetrically evoke strings without ends. In fine art framing, these interlacing patterns are often made using ink, walnut stain, and watercolour.

Intermediate frame (Marie-Louise)

A simple flat frame without decorative designs, usually placed between the painting and a larger frame. It helps create contrast & space between the painting and the outer moulding.

Kraft paper

Brown paper used to seal the package & the back of the frame.



Mount board

This board is used for passe-partout. It is a combination of several layers, a front paper, a core, a backing. The front paper exists in a variety of colours.

Museum quality conservation board

Museum boards have been elaborated to meet the high requirement of Museums for framing and storing ancient and precious documents. It is an acid free board with an alkaline reserve. This mount board is manufactured to protect the artwork form acidification and ageing.


Represents the different materials arranged in a specific manner with the objective of securing and protecting the artwork it encloses.


A mount board used to frame a picture, or picture. It is also called a window mount. It gives depth and also isolates the art-work from the glass.

Rabbet Frames

Most frames have a rabbet which rests on top of the glass, or directly on the painting.

Shaded lines

When you draw lines around a passe partout opening, you can decide to thicken the lines to highlight the shadow at a particular spot. The spots one thickens depends upon the direction of the light on the work. Shaded lines are lines that are thickened where they should be in the shade. For example, if light falls on the drawing from the top left, the ink lines would be thickened at the right and bottom. This technique produces an embossed effect & creates the illusion of depth depending on the distribution of the shaded lines.

Signature Block

A box used for inscribing a title or description below the art work.

Stretchers bars

Wooden structure made out of stretcher bars to stretch canvases.


Tall Flat frame

Flat frame with a rabbet of varying heights.

Tray Frame

L shaped moulding that is fixed behind the art piece. It is meant for canvases and drymounted photos.


Watercolour band on a passe-partout.

Wooden Cleats (Tasseau)

Long wooden bar, rectangular or square section.